The Cuckoo's Nest

"Hey you idiot! I'm starving to death here. Will you join me for dinner or not?"

"No!" I said politely.

"What? You think I was waiting here for the last two hours just to hear you say that stingy ‘No’?" She looked awesome with the brows puckered.

"Did I ask you to wait?"

"Oh! Is that so? My mistake sir that I fell in love with a dung-head" She screamed at the top of her voice. Anger only enhanced her beauty.

"Did I ever say that I love you?"

"Yeah! at-least a thousand times so far"

"Oh really? I’m sorry I was wrong"

"Good you realized it now and hope you don't change your mind again. Good bye!"

"Hey dear! Wait! I'm coming"

The Car came to a halt near Island grounds and I stepped out along with Peter. It was Peter who was driving the car, my new Toyota Camry.

"Hey Peter! Thank you for bringing me here. I'll be back in half an hour. You can wait for me here"

Peter looked puzzled. He knew that she loved me only in my dreams. Dreams like the one I just had inside the car. Peter knew very well that I was crazy about her but she never loved me. He also knew as much as I did that I meeting her now is not going to yield any result."

If the weather was as lovely as the place, the drizzling only improved its beauty further. The wet winds whispered something in my ears. It was an eerie song. Wet winds are always haunted. Island grounds looked as calm as always, unperturbed by the drizzling or the winds failed attempts.

I looked for her all around and found her very soon. I never thought I will ever meet her there.

I didn't know how to begin and it was the same problem that I had initially when I met her in the college. I stood silent for sometime.

"Hey dear! How are you?" I knew she wouldn't reply. I decided to proceed but found it difficult to speak. Words were just stuck inside and struggling to come out. I could feel the difference in pressure inside me; it was high from the stomach till the chest. I took a deep breath to let some air out and as I felt lighter, I spoke, the only reason why I came there all the way from far across the miles -to speak to her.

"I knew you wouldn't speak to me. Not an issue but please listen to me. I have got a lot to tell you and I promise this is the last time you will be hearing from me"

"Please don't think I'm here to tell you how much I loved you ever since we met in college till this very moment and I hope it is needless for me to say that I only wanted to see you happy, always, you should have realized it by now. Even now I don't know why you didn't feel the way I felt for you. If it's because I was poor that you didn't love me, then let me tell you that I own a big three storey house in the heart of the city and a posh commercial complex adjacent to it. Do you see that black Camry standing over there? It's mine. I know you always wanted to own one like that, didn’t you? I know you loved the Toyota logo as much as you loved Rahul."

"Didn't I tell you a hundred times that Rahul isn't good. You never listened to me. You thought I was jealous. I sure was, I agree but what I told you about Rahul was true and you know that now"

"You will never understand how worried I was for you. I tried everything to stop your wedding with Rahul but I couldn't. When you asked me to get lost from your life, I was shattered. I decided never to come in front of you again. But today, I came here to blurt out all my feelings for you, once forever."

"I loved everything about you. The way you looked, the way you smiled, the way you moved that hair that just loved falling over your cute little face again and again. I used to watch you for hours, you would be speaking to your friends, you would be speaking to yourself, I just loved watching you again and again. Do you know when you used to sit all alone in the corridor, oh! How I wished if I could come and sit next to you, place my hands gently over your shoulders and tell you that I loved you."

"My thoughts were full of you but what did you give me in return? All you could give me were disappointment, quite a lot indeed. You made me look small in front of Rahul and what did that bastard give you? I know you killed yourself because of Rahul. He couldn't keep you happy for even a moment. Why did you choose him over me? Why couldn't you understand my love? I want you to speak now, please speak to me."

"I know you can't speak. You are rotten dead inside the grave"

"How about a movie this evening?" She asked curiously.

"Great idea! Which movie are you gonna go for?"

"Get lost! that’s the name of the movie"

"Sounds interesting, do watch and tell me howz it"

"So you aren't coming out with me today?" She frowned.

"Sure! but not to a movie"

"Then?"

"I will take you to a place far away, a place as beautiful as you, a place where the wind sings eerie songs, a place atop the hill"

"Wow! That’s lovely"

The car moved fast, far away from the shadows of the tombs. Peter realized somebody behind is in deep sleep but his lips were widened in a smile and the smile looked frozen.

The End

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And the award goes to "i promise this is the last time you will be hearing from me"!

Looking forward to reading the next one!

Ramesh Ravindran said...

Well! i can guess who dis is..neways thank you for finding time out of the most busy schedule n adding grace to my blog...a honest 'thank you' for your comments.

Anonymous said...

Good guess! Btw, schedule is anything but busy these days. I must say I enjoy reading your posts. "When the planetary motion changed" is my fav

Anonymous said...

Dis d awesome...!!..how s tht u gt such ideas??..ny prsnal experiences??...very poignant,,!!
Bt why dis title...'The cukoo's nest ' ??