Good bye to Selvaraj Uncle (True-Life)

I was shocked when Shuba Aunty told me the news. How could it be? I wondered. I saw him a week back. He was driving a two wheeler and he smiled at me. I told my mom and sister. My Sister called up Ganesh uncle and the news was true. Selvaraj uncle is no more. He passed away last night.

By around 10 AM, Mom and I went to his house. Many people have gathered there. Selvaraj Uncle’s wife and my mom were friends, though not very close. His daughter and my sister were friends too, again not very close.

Mom walked inside along with few other ladies. I stood outside, looked down, I saw Selvaraj uncle riding a scooter, I was on my bike too and saw him near the level crossing, he looked at me and we both smiled at each other. I knew his memory will continue to haunt me for few days.

Every death carries a message, a strong message. All those odd moments, it’s time to repent. All those moments of rejoice brings tears to the eyes. The truth that you will never ever get to meet him in this long journey of life brings pain to the heart and more tears to the eyes.

I looked around and saw his son, standing there, near the entrance of the house. Most people who were walking in, either shook hands with him or tapped his shoulders and spoke some consoling words. I wanted to tell him that if he requires any help, he shouldn’t hesitate to ask me but I didn’t say anything, I didn’t want to. I stood next to him silently and then I walked inside to have a final look at Selvaraj Uncle.

He lay there inside the freezer box, wearing a blue shirt with white stripes and a navy blue pant. His wife was sitting next to him, her eyes fixed on him. She was broken; her eyes empty with no more tears. I looked at her closely. I had great respect for her. My mom told me this. My mother used to spend time with Selvaraj Uncle’s mom and perhaps that’s how she came to know. When Selvaraj uncle was studying in tenth standard, his dad passed away. They were then in Trivandrum and with the sole bread-winner of the family no more; Selvaraj Uncle’s mom had a tough time bringing up her three children. They had a very friendly neighbour who helped them with food and other kinds of help.

The little Selvaraj had to stop going to school as his mother could not afford to pay the school fees every month. The neighbours again came to help. They didn’t want Selvaraj uncle to end his studies and offered to pay the school fees every month. The little girl in the house used to bring them money every month for the school fees. That is how the young Selvaraj uncle completed his secondary education and pursued a three year diploma course. The irony is, the whole family loved the little girl in the neighbourhood very much and eventually Selvaraj uncle married the same girl. He then moved to Chennai and joined the same company that my father worked for.

Time, life, people, everything has changed now. Selvaraj uncle should have been damn lucky to have had such a beautiful wife. As Shamin said, it’s important to marry someone who you share a lot in common with, especially your goals in life. Marriage material is someone that fits in well with your family and that gets along well with your friends. Marriage material is someone who you feel comfortable with to share your deepest fears, secrets, etc. Some who loves you unconditionally, through the tough times as well as the good. Selvaraj Uncle was lucky.

Selvaraj Uncle was a good friend of my dad. Here he goes now to meet his friend after eight months. I would have visited Selvaraj uncle’s house only three or four times. I used to meet him on the way. He will be driving a bajaj scooter, with his daughter sitting behind him. I liked him a lot because he was my father’s friend and my dad used to say so many good things about him.

I stood there and watched as more people came in; most of them came with tears in their eyes. Few eyes were red. They spoke about those wonderful moments they got to spend with Selvaraj Uncle. I spend close to three hours there and then walked out with my mom bidding Selvaraj uncle a last bye.

The End.

0 comments: